is that what i want my voice to do?
yesterday i went for a singing lesson. My parents wanted me go to that tutor because she was a First Class singer in China. I'm not exactly sure why she came to Australia where she came only be a tutor rather than a performer.For most of the lesson, I was singing "mi, mi, mi...", "na, na, na...", "ar, ar, ar...", the basics. There's so many things to consider when you sing each note, it's no longer a pleasure to sing. I suppose, once i've practiced enough it will all just be natural to me, then i can just relax and enjoy the singing.
At the end of the lesson, she got me to sing "Memory" (from Cats) cos it's a song i know and she has the sheet music. I did everything she taught me to do and she was pleased with the result. My mum, who was also sitting in the room, liked it too. But i can't really say i liked it myself. The way she wants me to sing is too operatic. I don't want to sing each note as if it's coming out of my forehead. For opera, you have to. But i don't think you do that with musicals, not what i've noticed. I want to sing musicals, not opera.
It will be at least a month before i go for my second lesson cos she's going on holidays. The mean time, i have to practice my "mi, mi, mi...", "na, na, na...", "ar, ar, ar...", and "Memory".
<< Home