Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Day 3

while it's cool that ppl keep coming to me for an opinion on something and that nurses and pharmacists are forever wanting me to autograph patients' med or fluid charts, I'd rather not do it cos of the responsiblity associated. with the endless number of tasks i've got, i simply don't have the time to do a full assessment of each clinical situation, not in the thorough way that i was taught at medschool. no time to rule out all the possible differentials with history, examination and investigations.

One interesting thing i've noticed about myself in the last couple of days is that I actually do care about my parents' wellbeing. It might be an eyebrow-raising thing to say at this stage, but during medschool years, patients are people I wanted information from, whether it's from history or examination. And it was frustrating if i spend ages with a patient and couldn't get anything out of them. But now, I am spending a lot more time trying to make sure that they are comfortable and happy. Although it's really the nurses' job for that sort of direct & hands-on patient care, sometimes, i do wish i had the time to find a warm blanket for the shivering old lady or remove the bedpan for that gentleman when he's done his job...

Today's Highlight

teaching my med student

|