Friday, January 27, 2006

Today's Highlight

Nearly had to do a manual disimpaction on this LOL who's been constipated for about a week and has proven faecal-loading on Abdo X-ray. Thankfully, I was saved when the nurse came almost immediately after i was asked to do it and told us that the LOL had just done a really big one. *phew* that was close. Not only is manual disimpaction very unpleasant to do, if I'd gone ahead and done it I could've had the "really big one" straight into my face.

LOL = little old lady
constipated = usually when it's a few days down the track the patient has a really dry and hard block of stool blocking the exit.
Manual disimpaction = insert a finger into the exit and...scoop...out comes the hard block of stool and possibly followed by a stream of soft stool. Something only interns do.

|