Saturday, April 01, 2006

Bye bye ortho

yesterday was the last day of Term 1. The other ortho intern and I bought cakes and chocolates for the nurses and registras. (was given a box of chocolates from one of my regs, which was quite unexpected. Was kinda funny actually, cos at the same time, i was giving him a box of chocolate with the other hand.) A lot of nice things were said. Unfortunately, i was slightly too busy with my work to become more emotional then i was. Only came near to tears once when i was saying goodbye to a RN. Wish i was better with words, cos i really wanted to tell my registras and nurses how easy they'd made my first term as an intern.

Coincidentally, the 2 ortho interns were on for the evening shift. So we were able to say goodbye to the evening staff as well. But because it was a 7:30am-11:00pm day, i was absolutely exhausted towards the end, esp cos i chatted so much more during the day (multiple times about where I was going next etc). From around 8-9pm, i was totally yawning and couldn't keep my eyes open. I really think my management of some of the patients during the evening shift was a bit suboptimal.

Must thank God for looking after me in my first term as an intern. It was a tough term. There were only a few unpleasant incidences and I wouldn't say that I wish they never happened cos i learnt from them and I'd be crazy to expect everything to be perfect. But I'd still give this term a 10/10. I had so much fun. made a few new friends (some of whom are quite entertaining and make me wonder what my next few terms will be like without them) whom I am sure to miss since we aren't going to be in the same hospitals next. To my surprise, I enjoyed work itself. Call me crazy, but I don't go in on a Monday wishing it was a Friday. And call me a kid, cos sending off an x-ray request form (or better still, finally finding an x-ray for my registras to review a fracture) gives me a sense of satisfactions. So usually I run around doing my errands throughout a day quite happily. I know that this term didn't go so smoothly because of my own doing. Everything worked according to God's plan.

Next term, will be totally different, at least in the nature of my work. I'm seconded to a very small hospital to do Emergency. I'm actually not very confident about it at the moment. I will have to practice real medicine, rather than doing mostly paper work like last term. I'll have to be a real doctor rather than a clerk. Will definitely have to wear my stethoscope all the time. The hours are totally random. Basically 10.5 hour shifts 4 our of 7 days (a week). I'm rostered to work on both the next 2 Sunday and don't know if i'll be able to find someone to swap =(

[sorry, that was another post about ME-ME-ME. As usual, no insight into deeper things or opinion on issues of the world.]

|